tuesday, 4 of October??????, 2011

How did that happen?

Sorry about that... I never intended to leave you in a lurch. See for a complete explanation of lurch (I got curious) http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/left-in-the-lurch.html.

It's not that I haven't been working on the kayak. In fact the press is on! Winter is coming and I need to get to a certain point so I can move the works indoors. And I will need the nice cozy garage to park my car in when it starts to snow.

It's not that I haven't taken photos. I have, and I have even removed them from the camera and put them into the computer. Select. Crop. Size. Make it look pretty.

So, when we left the kayak back in, hmmm,  July was it? I was removing the outer stems from the boat, and finishing up the last of the stripping. What a good moment in time that last piece fitting in was! (And what an awkward sentence that was)! I hand made that piece with a plane. It's my new favorite tool. The block plane.


Ta da!


It took me three tries to get a piece of properly shaped wood strip just long enough to fit in to fill all the remaining space, but not too long that it would snap off fitting it in. Tricky getting the piece out when one is only dry fitting a piece. Funny it did not fit quite so well with the glue applied. But as my mentor says, you'll never know it once it has a good coat of fiberglass and epoxy on it. Oh, I'll know it. I just hope the memory fades.

Did you notice that I did not use the "football" patch? I was having so much fun puzzle-piecing my strips into place that I decided to not use the football and just work my way to the last piece. The result is a more pleasing design in my opinion.

On to the outer stems. Alex did the first one, as I am vertically challenged for this particular task. Or so I thought. I managed to apply the bow stem myself. After planing the edge of the stem to make a good fit.


That left Alex plenty of time to power wash the launch. We still don't know much more about the boat. And Alex is torn between a complete redo - copy all the pieces and make a new boat, or strip and epoxy on top of the hull (like the kayaks) and then do the same on the inside, encasing the whole hull in epoxy. Of course, fixing the frame along the way. She is such a pretty, elegant boat. I vote for restoration.



Like the Retro Viking Look? It probably would look sexier without the blue tape.


Too late... I have already removed the screws and started shaping the stems. I'm using a plane and Alex is using an orbital sander. He wins of course, but I believe it would be way too easy for me to go too far with the sander. The plane only takes a fraction off at a time.

Ginger is recovering from a ruptured eyeball. I really hope you don't get glaucoma! Although I understand that it is a controllable disease in humans. Not so much in dogs.


See the cute little button above Ginger's left eye? The vet sewed her third eyelid over her eye to protect it while it was "gathering itself" as my mother would say. It's a nifty little trick tying off the stitches with a button. The vet also said I should try making a prosthetic eye (I was wearing one of my flower beads the last time I we visited). Hmmm. Maybe I should at least try to make one.

It's raining and cold today. Again. I think I will do some indoor stair painting instead of standing out in the cool damp garage.

See ya.

Comments

Popular Posts